Microsoft invests in GreeceOctober 07, 2020
Microsoft $1 billion cloud datacenter investment boosts “GR for GRowth” digital transformation; check out why.
We were thrilled to watch the joint announcement of the Greek Government and Microsoft for the creation of a cloud datacenter in Attica, as part of “GR for GRowth” digital transformation initiative, with Microsoft President Brad Smith making the announcement at the New Acropolis Museum alongside Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Greece Prime Minister, and Theodosis Michalopoulos, General Manager of Microsoft Greece, Cyprus and Malta.
As Pobuca, the Gold Partner of Microsoft for 15 years and twice awarded as "Partner of the Year", has transferred the sum of its applications to Microsoft Azure cloud since 2014, this massive investment will mean a lot for our Greek customers.
Let’s have a look at the key benefits we will be seeing in the coming years, as the investment materializes:
- Faster speeds to begin with, for all Pobuca applications and data access (big data) - A key factor for increased productivity, especially as more and more of our customers will be transferring their data to the cloud for faster processing.
- Direct access to innovation and largest technological developments - Especially in the coming years with the upcoming adoption of Artificial Intelligence, this can prove to be of strategic importance for our businesses.
- Acceleration of the Greek State’s Digital Transformation - As we have all experienced bureaucracy and its negative effects on the development of entrepreneurship, this is a major uplift in the way we will all be doing business in the years to come.
- Greece can become an innovation hub for the Balkans and Eastern Europe - We have witnessed a similar development through our subsidiary in Dubai, when a local cloud datacenter was created by Microsoft; companies from neighboring countries transferred their data there and investment opportunities were created.
- An ecosystem of IT engineers will be created that can help in the wider digital transformation of businesses. Through many talks with business people, the lack of IT qualified resources is a serious drawback for the industry, expected to be remedied by this great investment.